Wednesday, June 23, 2021

The Difference Between a Gunshot and a Firework

The neighborhood that I've called home

for the past 3 years 

has always been filled with

a cacophony of sounds.


On any day of the week

I find myself in my room deciphering 

through intuition and hearing alone

all that's happening outside of it. 


Most days I am able to tell 

the difference between the

booming of a gunshot

and a firework.


Some days I am not.

Which means I either prematurely hide

when I could be looking out or

I risk my safety by not ducking off sooner.

And I've done the same with men.


It's taken me many years to learn

the difference between who is safe

and who is only meant to be a lesson

in fine-tuning my grounding from within.


But even through my pain I've found healing

and though I can't say I've always been glad

to learn through struggle,

I can say I'm proud of who I am.


The universe has a way of pushing us to shift

our focus and if we're ready to tune in we'll

start to see synchronicities and understand

that everything happens for a reason.


The more you trust yourself

and the guidance you're receiving

the less likely you are to compromise your

dignity for people who are misleading.


And that's when you'll be able to instantly

know the difference 

between a firework 

and a gunshot.


One is always beautiful

while any beauty in the other

can only be seen

after recovery from the pain.


-Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment